RT Edgar History
RT Edgar was established by Robert Thomas Edgar, in Hawthorn in 1896. It was a time when real estate in Victoria was still reeling from a financial collapse in the 1890s. But the original R.T. Edgar was a visionary and, foreseeing boundless opportunities, he set up the company at just 24 years of age.
Robert’s vision was realised as the business grew alongside the rapidly developing Melbourne suburbs. Initially based in Hawthorn, Robert Edgar helped create many of the area’s exclusive residential addresses, established out of the surplus land attached to the proud old mansions and prestige estates that graced Melbourne’s eastern suburbs.
Through the Great Depression and the Second World War, the business successfully negotiated the cycle of growth and recession, and by the 1970s, RT Edgar was ready to expand its reach into regional Victoria. Over the following decades, new offices were opened in Portsea, Point Lonsdale and the Alpine region to oversee the sale of prestige coastal and snowfield properties.
In 1990, the company’s success led to the relocation of the head office to Toorak, at the heart of Melbourne’s most prestigious real estate, and only 3km from where Robert first set up office over 100 years earlier.
Today, the visionary zeal of the original R.T. Edgar continues in the current directors, Jeremy Fox, Michael Ebeling and Warwick Anderson. Together, they are the driving force behind RT Edgar’s ongoing innovation and evolution as Melbourne’s leading prestige real estate agents.